About our school

The first part of the school was built in 1962, and two classrooms and a hall were added in 1981. We used to have a prefab as a classroom, but that is gone now. Around our school we have a lot of grassy areas to play on. In the summer there are trees to shade us.

Our school is situated near a playing pitch, and a church, which is a bonus. Nearby also, is the first school in Farran, which was built in 1895, and is now somebody’s home. Scoil Naomh Muire has five mainstream class teachers with an administrative Principal. We also have a Learning Support Teacher. In August 2013 we opened our special unit “Nead na Coille” for children with a diagnosis of autism. This unit is at present housed in the school hall, but an extension to the school will begin shortly.  We have two teachers in this unit and five Special Needs Assistants. We have a part time secretary and caretaker. Allied to this we have a very active and supportive Parents Association. Some of their activities include developing the playing field adjacent to our school, organising the First Communion party as well as holding their annual school sports day in June.

In 2009 the school underwent a complete facelift. The old windows and doors were replaced with new double glazed ones. A parking area was created to the rear of the school and the childrens’ play area was extended and re-surfaced. A soccer pitch and a basketball court were also created for the children. Some old conifer trees were removed which brightened up the school, an alarm was installed and the whole building was painted.